With the winter season upon us, it's important to remember to perform some routine maintenance on your home. Here are a few tips and suggestions for how to maximize your home's efficiency through the cold season.
Winter (December 21st - March20th)
- Clean the inside of your garbage disposal by grinding up ice cubes. Freshen it with baking soda and grinding up citrus fruit rinds.
- Check weather stripping around doors and windows. Adjust or replace as necessary.
- Inspect washing machine hose periodically. Replace hoses that show signs of leaking.
- Check smoke detectors for proper operation. Vacuum clean smoke detector openings yearly.
- Have your home professionally sprayed for bugs. Bugs look for warm areas in your home as a relief from the cold.
- Insure that fire extinguishers are fully charged! Make sure all family members know the location of fire extinguishers. Consider installing one near your stove (maybe in the pantry?) and in the garage.
- Keep first aid supplies (plus a book on first aid procedures) and emergency flashlights in an accessible location. Replace emergency flashlight batteries every six months.
- Before peak use periods, schedule yearly professional maintenance on your heating system.
- Check and clean range hood filters.
- Every three months, replace return air filters for air conditioning and heating systems. This improves efficiency, comfort, and lowers your energy bill.